Oil on my land?

When most people buy their property they do not usually pay attention to the mineral rights portion at their closing unless they are smack in the middle of an Oil Field, Gold District, or Coal Mining town. Well with the Niobrara Oil play, many people who never thought they had oil and gas under them must now face the reality, they have oil underneath their property.

It is an unfortunate fact that most Mortgage Title companies include information about a properties Mineral Estate that is either outdated, or flat out wrong. Most (not all) did not do the work to research the minerals adequately due to the cost and time involved so instead they include a blanket rider that says your minerals are owned by “Union Pacific” or some other company. You cannot trust what is in your closing papers! The only truth can be found by researching it. Don’t worry its not that hard and you can do it yourself and we will tell you how to do it.

Other, more fortunate people reading this may have already been contacted by an Oil or Land Leasing company about purchasing their mineral rights, thinking it is some sort of joke. Believe me, it is not a joke. No company will contact you if you do not own some portion of the minerals on your land. They have already researched your land, and you can bet that you own it and they want to enter into a leasing agreement with you. If you are in this category you don’t need to do any research, it has already been done for you. All you have to decide is if you are interested.

Share Button
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

One Response to Oil on my land?

  1. RockPick says:

    Where can I find information regarding my personal mineral estate?

    This is a question many surface owners will ask themselves when the learn that oil drilling will take place in their area. The short answer is that each landowner must do their own due diligence to find out if they own their mineral rights.

    As specified by the Colorado State Land Board;

    ‘The State Land Board maintains only State owned properties and does not maintain records for fee (private) or federal lands. For fee property, contact the county clerk & recorders office where the property is located. For federal lands, contact the Bureau of Land Management at 303-239-3600.”

Comments are closed.