There is a very interesting article on Geology.com that shows labled views of some major oilfields at night. The images show lights from drilling operations and natural gas flaring from some key oil fields in the world. The images are from data acquired by the Suomi NPP satellite. The data was acquired over nine days in April 2012 and 13 days in October 2012. It took 312 orbits to get a clear shot of every parcel of Earth’s land surface and islands. This new data was then mapped over existing Blue Marble imagery of Earth to provide a realistic view of the planet. Data provided by NASA Earth.
Get Posts by Email
- Loading tweets...
Trending TagsCity of Longmont Regulations Wattenberg Field Anadarko Petroleum Fracking Arapahoe County Noble Energy Governor Hickenlooper Hydraulic Fracturing COGCC Wyoming Local Government Natural Gas Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission Niobrara DJ Basin Horizontal Drilling Colorado Drilling Weld County Drilling Moratorium Douglas County Jared Polis Anadarko Mineral Rights
- Decline Curves of the Niobrara
- At The Tip of the Shale Oil Revolution – The PDC Drill Bit
- Conoco’s Niobrara Energized by Eagleford Knowledge
- Top 12 I.P. Wells in Niobrara Shale Have Large Gas Component
- Niobrara a Premier Oil Resource Play
- Seismic Surveyor Geokinetics Shares Plunge in 2012
- Ultra Petroleum Core Analysis Showing Mixed Results in Southern Niobrara
- Whiting Sees Lower Costs, Raises Production Guidance
- Energy Pipeline: Plugging old vertical wells could soon change Colorado’s landscapes
- Longmont mulls stand against statehouse bill that would compensate drillers for losses
- ConocoPhillips may restart Niobrara Operations in 2017
- A drilling rig in a residential Greeley neighborhood? It’s not what you think